DMD Finished

DMD Results


Took 15:50. Looks like the winner was 12 hours and change. I started off very strong and was 4 mins behind 5 AM leaders at top of Diablo in 1:42. Hit Morgan Territory in about 3:35 averaging about 15.5 MPH and was again a few mins behind leader. A flat on Altamont took some wind out of my sails and got passed by a lot of people, but I got back moving and hit Mines at 11:20. I felt a bit sick climbing MInes, but somehow recovered and pulled in to lunch about 1:05; I quickly left lunch without something very important, my water bottles. About 3.5 miles down the road I looked down and saw empty cages and starting cussing. This guy looked at me and took off and I went back. Nothing like 10.5 bonus miles in 85 degree heat for a morale boost. I triied to stay positive and kept moving well. I hit the base of Hamilton at maybe 2:15 or so. I did not fly up like my training ride but managed to hold 5-6 MPH the entire way. My bike computer showed 99 degrees in direct sun light. It might have been 85 in the shade, but it was hot, and I was popping enduralytes like a junkie 2 and 3 at a time as soon as a cramp started. I sucked on the desecent of Hamilton like usual and had the dreaded stomach ache as I dropped down. Feeling lousy at Crothers. I left at around 4:30 for the dreaded demon of Sierra. I was feeling horrendous and had to stop a lot climbing this hill. At about 2 miles into the climb I had a recovery of sorts and was able to pedal to the end. I left the Pet the Goat at 5:45 PM and felt much better as it started to cool down. I actually was enjoying the ride more and listening to the iPod and cruised into Sunol. I had some Chili and left at 7 PM. The ride down Niles was not as bad as usual and I hit Palomares and started climbing easy. i got a great burst of energy and stated ripping hard up the hill passing many people I wanted to get to the descent before dark and I managed to do it. What a relief being able to see the road. i hooked up with a few guys and worked over towards Crow Canyon. What a horrible road at night. Lukily we hit Norris and I was feeling really good and took off from the 3 guys I was with and pedaled hard up that hill. The descent was nice and I pulled into the end with at time of 15:50.

218 Miles
15:03 riding time
47 minutes off the bike
14.5 MPH riding
19783 feet of Climbing
10900 Calories Burned
15:50 Total Time


Great day and definetely the toughest day on the bike for me. This was way harder than last years Terrible Two for me. My fast start plus the heat bonk tore me a new one. I wanted to quit badly up Sierra, but managed to suffer through to the end.

A huge shout out to Martin Brooks for finishing this as his first double. He started riding in November after years off and started riding the local hills in prep for DMD. To finish this as your first double is an amazing feat!

The Central Coast Double is only two weeks away. Time to get in a few tune ups and hopefully some hard fast climbs in. Would like to really see if I can hang near the front of this ride and pick up a few hours over 3 years ago.

Comments

nrmrvrk said…
Wow. Quite the day on the bike. You had slightly hotter weather, 10 bonus miles and still beat your goal (my time from 06) by 25 min. You are definitely the man now. No question. Congrats! Great effort.
jmilliron said…
Damn that sounds brutal. A flat or having to double back is a real morale killer.

Big accomplishment.
mthead said…
that's a great day, good job sucking it up, that's what it's all about sometimes.
I rode the Primavera today, saw a bunch of the DMD directions on the ground. It's really nice out there...
Chris O'Keefe said…
Tx Guys. Did you get the Primavera done early Mike? It was damn hot out there today if you were riding late.
Steve Saeedi said…
I was very thankful DMD was not today, but do feel bad for those on the Primavera as it hit close to 90 in Fremont. My sunburn hurts just thinking about what Mines road would have done to us.
Chris O'Keefe said…
We would have been torched on the back side of Hamilton today. Tomorrow is even worse. I saw 98 on my bike computer in direct sun as I baked up Hamilton. Today would have been insane!
mthead said…
we finished around 3, so just about peak heat. wasn't too too bad, the last climb is somewhat shady. there were definitely some hot stretches though
Mike Deitchman said…
Nice report, Chris!

We finished in 18:22, after much suffering... I was slower than last year, despite having more long rides under my belt (the '08 DMD was my 5th double, this year's was my 12th ride of a double or longer).

I posted up my report of the suffer-fest as well. =)

Next up is Davis 24-Hour and then Central Coast...