Ohlone 50K in the Heat

Tomorrow is the Ohlone 50k and its going to be hot. I am going to run with the trusty Camelbak I used to use on hot rides. I don't like the idea of trying something new on a run like this, but cant afford to over-heat and blow up. I had my worst dehydration episode a mile from the Ohlone Wilderness on Welch Creek Road on a training ride 2 years ago and know what can happen when you over-heat. On that day I ended up seizing up and cramping in both legs, arms, back, neck, and laying on the couch yelling as each new muscle decided to lock up. Tomorrow should be a high of 91, but I know now to load up on the S-Caps and drink like a fiend. This run has 7800 feet of climbing in 31 miles so I would consider it to be pretty damn hard. I have a stretch goal of breaking 7 hours, but I have not been able to train since Miwok due to Achilles/Ankle issues, so who knows what will happen.

Good luck to all running tomorrow, should be fun.

Comments

nrmrvrk said…
Thanks for taking me out to Welch Creek that day. We should have thought out the water part of it better. No water between the base of Sierra and Hwy 680 in Sunol. Maybe two bottles wasn't enough. Glad that it wasn't any worse....